Honey, Mustard, Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary
An absolutely classic Sunday Roast. Feel good food at it’s finest. It does look like quite a lot from the list of ingredients but it’s a lot simpler when broken down into the three constituent parts of the meal. 1. Chicken. 2. Veg. 3. Gravy.
Part of the enjoyment and satisfaction of this meal for me is the cooking of it.
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (1 for the Chicken, 1 for the Potatoes and 1 for the veg)
- 1 Large Chicken 1.5 Kg
- 6 Large Carrots
- 3 Large Parsnips
- 200 Grams Broccoli
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 1/2 Cauliflower
- 6 Large Potatoes
- 25g French Mustard
- 1/3 Cup of Honey
- 1 Lemon & 200ml Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Low-Salt Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon each of Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Coriander and Basil
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 Large bulb of Garlic
- 200 ml Chicken Stock
- Roast Chicken: Cut 3 of the carrots into quarters, the large brown onion and grate 4 cloves of the garlic. Add to a large baking tray lined with cooking foil. Add olive oil and mix. Then add rosemary, oregano, basil and coriander and mix again before resting the chicken on top. 1/2 the lemon and along with two cloves of garlic insert them into the cavity of the chicken. Then with a teaspoon coat the top of the chicken with mustard. Then add more rosemary, oregano, basil and coriander onto the mustard. Then pour honey onto the top of the chicken. Cover the top of the chicken with more foil to retain the moisture whilst cooking and add to the oven at 200˚C..
- Roast Vegetables: Quarter all of the potatoes and place in an oven proof dish with olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic (grated) and rosemary, thyme and oregano. Mix, cover and add to the oven. Then quarter the remaining 3 carrots and do the same with the parsnips. Also add to an oven proof dish with olive oil. Cover with olive oil then add basil and coriander then mix, cover then place in oven with the potatoes and chicken.
- Gravy: Mix the remaining grated garlic, rosemary, oregano, coriander, basil into 250 ml of chicken stock. Add 100 ml of lemon juice, 15 ml Worcestershire sauce, 15 ml apple cider vinegar, 50 ml soy sauce, 25 g mustard and 50 ml of honey. Whisk thoroughly adding corn flower to thicken.
After the chicken has been in the oven for 45 mins to it out and check it is cooking well. Then stab across the breast with a sharp knife to allow some of the juices to escape on the carrot and onion below. Baste with these juices then pour about 100 ml of the gravy over the chicken and return to the oven. Now remove the dish containing the parsnips and carrots give them a stir to make sure they are not sticking to the oven dish. Then also pour over 100ml of the gravy and return and return to the oven.