Sweet Potato Rosti with Mushroom and Poached Egg
Make this easy sweet potato rosti for a healthy meal at any of time day – a hearty weekend brunch or quick midweek dinner idea. Crispy potato rosti are topped with garlic fried mushrooms and a perfectly poached egg for a quick vegetarian meal.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 5 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 380g pack mushrooms, finely sliced
- 10g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8 mins until softened. Tip into a bowl and mix with the grated sweet potato and 1 egg. Season and shape into 4 compact patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the frying pan over a medium heat and fry the rostis for 5-6 mins on each side until crisp and golden. Place on a plate and cover with foil while you fry the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and fry for 5 mins until golden. Sprinkle with the parsley, saving a little to garnish.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer then carefully crack the eggs into the water, one by one. Poach for 3-5 mins until the white is cooked but the yolk is runny. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and serve on top of the rostis and garlic mushrooms. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley to serve.